The Gulfport-Biloxi Airport is undergoing major expansion and makes traveling to the area easy and convenient. It is served by five airlines connecting in Atlanta, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Ft. Lauderdale, Houston, Memphis, Orlando and Tampa & Phoenix.
- $51 Million expansion project
- Completion set for late 2007
- Expanding terminal from 92,000 square feet to 165,000 allowing more space for existing airlines and the addition of two new airlines. The weather on the Gulf Coast ranges in temperatures from mild winters with average temperatures of 58 degrees in January to beautiful sunny beach summers with July's average temperatures of 89 degrees.
New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region received a lot of attention for the destruction caused by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. This Hurricane was devastating but for Mississippi it also provided a tremendous opportunity to rebuild and thrive. Although beachfront areas in the U.S. have some amount of risk regarding hurricane activity, 83% of all major hurricane hit TX or FL. History has proven that in areas previously hit by hurricanes the real estate and economic markets return stronger than before.
1851-2006 of all hurricanes to hit the U.S Coastline (TX - ME) only 5.6% have made landfall on Mississippi.
US Department of Commerce, Atlantic Oceanographic & Meteorological Laboratory, Hurricane Research Division The Mississippi Gulf Coast is a rare and exciting opportunity for real estate investment. The Gulf Coast’s location offers diverse options for recreation, business, employment and great quality of life. Strategically located between New Orleans (87 miles West) and Mobile (65 miles East) the I-10 corridor affords easy access and convenience.
The cities along the Gulf Coast have been ranked in Money Magazine's Best Places to Live, Forbes' Best Places to Start a Business, Modern Maturity's Best Active Places to Retire, and Builder Magazine's Hottest Housing Markets in the United States. The region boasts an overall cost of living below the national average and is regarded as one of the most affordable urban housing markets in the South.
- Beau Rivage, 3659 - Hard Rock Biloxi, 1,454 *opened July 2007 - Boomtown, 678 - Grand Casino Biloxi, 1192 - Hollywood Casino Bay St. Louis (Hancock County), 748 - Imperial Palace, 2777 - Island View Casino, 1683 - Isle of Capri, 961 - New Palace Casino, 610 - Silver Slipper (Hancock County), 651 - Treasure Bay Biloxi, 214
For more references please visit:
The Sun Herald, Saturday, April 14,2007; Governor Haley Barbour; South MS Planning and Development District There are many incentives developed by Federal, State and Regional government agencies and private organizations to keep the economy growing strong. In recent years, companies such as NASA's Stennis Space Center, Toyota, DuPont, GE Plastics, PSL-North America and Rolls Royce have been attracted by our:
- low cost of doing business - low taxes - low utility rates - strong right-to-work climate - excellent shipping and transportation options
Employee in White Collar Occupations: 54.1% Employee in Blue Collar Occupations: 45.9% - Keesler AFB, Biloxi, 16,000 - Casinos, Harrison County, 14,084 and growing - Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, Gulfport/Pascagoula, 10,977 - NASA's Stennis Space Center, Hancock County, 4,684 - Memorial Hospital at Gulfport, 2,100 - Mississippi Power, Gulfport, 1,250 - Chevron USA, Jackson County, 1,240 - Hancock Bank, Gulfport, 1,213 - Naval CBC, Gulfport, 5,000 - Cingular Wireless, Jackson County, 600
The Sun Herald, Saturday, April 14,2007; Governor Haley Barbour; South MS Planning and Development District - 24 Billion in federal grant money has been allocated in MS. - 3 Billion in loans - Go Zone tax incentives have been extended through 2010 - Most of the 5.5 Billion of Community Development Block Grant money allocated to MS will be spent on the Coast - One-half Billion devoted to economic development in the 49 County GO Zone areas - Billions in private sector investment & expansion
- The world's longest man-made beach - $100 million golf industry boasting 20 courses on the coast - Stennis Space Center - Gulf Islands Water Park Shrimping Trips & Ship Island Excursions - Museums - Lynn Meadows Discovery Center
Area annual events include: - Gulf Coast Winter Classic Horseshow - Crusin' the Coast a week-long classic car festival - Smokin' the Sound powerboat races - Gulf Coast Crawfish Festival - And many more For years, offshore casinos were a large part of the Gulf Coast's economic success story. After Katrina, Gov. Barbour signed legislation allowing casinos to be built on land instead of the pre-Katrina requirement of water-based casinos. Several Las Vegas gaming companies immediately announced plans to expand to this area. Investors worldwide are lining up for a piece of the pie. Donald Trump and Steve Wynn have both announced plans to develop projects in this area. The gaming industry continues to boom and boost the Gulf Coast economy.
Four new Casinos are currently under construction including Margaritaville Casino & Resort, a Harrah's Entertainment Inc collaboration with Jimmy Buffett, which broke ground in August 2007 on a 46-acre site in Biloxi. The project represents an investment of over $700 million and estimated completion is in early 2010.
Casinos currently under construction represent over a 1 billion dollar investment with another seven proposed casinos exceeding 2 billion dollars. Tier One National Destination
Tourism is projected to be the number one economic driver in the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Early in 2007, the Governor's office unveiled its plan to develop the Coast as a "Tier One" national destination, to compete with Orlando and Las Vegas, by 2010. The master plan calls for:
- tripling the number of hotel rooms along the Coast and particularly encouraging condo-type resort lodgings
- dramatically increasing convention space in the area
- increasing air travel capacity (the Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport is in the midst of a major expansion) and developing the area's non-gaming activities, retail, and high-end dining options Please contact Carol Rafferty of Project Management.